In the last few decades, the maritime and offshore industries have gone through some considerable changes, globally. As most of the operations and proceedings of this industry have been evolving to a faster, better, and developed methodology, that is, digital operations, the risks associated with the computerized operational system is also entering the maritime industrial cycle.
As the dependency of this industry is accelerating on automation, so does the risk of a cyberattack on the offshore vessels. Recently, so many instances of cyber hacking, penetrating, and cyber-attack have been coming into light that the question of offshore cybersecurity is something which is getting enough attention. Although many maritime industries are understanding the seriousness and the importance of cybersecurity services in this regard.
And implementing several cybersecurity measures for a safer offshore business, the cybercriminals are also developing their hacking technologies, which make it even more challenging for maritime industries to enable their cybersecurity. With the continuous evolution of technology, the need for a regular update in the cybersecurity systems of the offshore industries is getting mandatory.
Further, to understand the importance of cybersecurity in the referred industry, we have to understand the risks involved in an offshore business that is lacking this cybersecurity system as computerized operational system led the way to a convenient mode of operations.
It can also expose all the crucial and sensitive information of the offshore vessels like- the exact location, GPS track, number of crew members and other ashore members, fuel quantity, the timing of port arrival and inspection, etc. This information is too sensitive to be leaked, and here, the risk of the lack of cybersecurity lies.
Cyber penetrators, hackers, or particularly cybercriminals can use this information in carrying their criminal intentions that may include operational disruption, offshore criminal activities, economic loss, accidents, and even loss of life. Thus, the risk is enormous in lacking a robust cybersecurity system in offshore networks and maritime industries.
With so many instances of the cyber attack on these maritime industries, it is highly vulnerable for a vessel to get into a cyber attack.
While the application of cyber security is really important, it also includes challenges and complications throughout:
1) Understanding and getting used to with complicated cyber security system.
2) Adopting a new technology immediately after years of the same functioning slows down the adoption rate in the industry.
3) Training crew members for these cyber security systems may be time taking. Also, their adaptation rate in this regard is to be considered as these systems demand high technical knowledge.
4) Human Interference or errors in high technological complicated times, generally caused by crew members can even worsen the situation.
5) Inconsistent cyber network because of the obvious changing locations of the vessel can create problems as these systems are dependent upon terrestrial infrastructure.
Thus, Marine Cybersecurity is something which is an important issue for the marine industries.