As a small business owner, you don’t need to staff an entire Human Resources department. This doesn’t mean that your existing staff won’t have needs only an HR professional is equipped to address, however.
There are ways to implement HR solutions without committing to the additional manpower.
Do you need HR staff?
Technology has made it easier than ever for companies to outsource HR tasks. This can mean outsourcing tasks either internationally or within your country. The internet has made it possible to connect with people located anywhere in the world with ease.
Not only that, but you can also use software programs to automate some of your company’s HR tasks. This means that it’s possible for a small business or startup to do all essential HR tasks without hiring an HR department.
While there are many types of software programs that you can utilize to make it easier for employees to perform essential HR-related tasks, there are several main categories that these programs fall into. Some programs are designed for the organization of tasks, some are designed to help you perform HR tasks, and others are capable of both. Here are some examples of each type of software program:
- Create charts and tables with Microsoft Office, which can make meetings with employees much easier.
- LucidChart can help you to create charts that are used by employees.
- Creately can be used to create flow charts, diagrams, and organization charts.
Perform HR tasks
- Skype allows you to conduct interviews remotely, which can improve your hiring process.
- VoIP services allow you to make calls for a more affordable price, including conference calling with video chat features.
- There are various software programs that allow you to eliminate the need for paper storage, which means that you won’t need to hire employees to specifically manage your file cabinet.
- Zenfits is great for small to medium sized businesses. It helps you to manage payroll, HR, and benefits more easily. It’s available to business owners for an extremely affordable price.
- Kronos Workforce Ready is somewhat more expensive, but it can be useful for people who own companies of any size. It combines human capital management and workforce management.
- Bamboo HR offers a variety of services that can be great for HR departments, and it even comes with an applicant tracking system.
Luckily, there are numerous platforms that you can use to outsource your company’s HR tasks. These platforms allow you to connect with potential contractors located all over the world, which can allow you to get important HR tasks done at a reduced cost. In addition, these platforms allow you to view the credentials of potential contractors for HR tasks. Here are some examples of platforms that you might want to consider utilizing for your company:
Freelancing platforms require you to pay a small fee (around 20 percent of the total paid to freelancers) in addition to the rate that you pay individual contractors. Generally speaking, these websites will allow you to choose any rate of pay for the project. The project that you assign to contractors on these sites can be anything from a small task to a long-term project.
Freelancing sites like Guru, Upwork, and Freelancer can be a great way to find skilled HR professionals who work as freelancers. In fact, you’ll be able to choose from a significant number of qualified applicants in many cases.
Amazon Mechanical Turk
Amazon Mechanical Turk allows you to connect with individuals who are able to perform short tasks for your company. In addition, it’s possible to get these tasks done for an exceptionally affordable price. However, it’s not the best solution for people who require more in-depth tasks, and people who you hire on Amazon Mechanical Turk may or may not have any qualifications in the field.
When to hire
If your company’s employees are having a tough time doing the necessary HR-related tasks or the above options aren’t working for you, it may be time to hire an HR department. In addition, companies that have large warehouses, campuses, or other large spaces are more likely to need an HR director. In general, companies that have more than 100 employees should generally hire one as well.