Omnichannel marketing isn’t just about being available on multiple channels. It’s a seamless hand off from one channel to another, removing barriers to value and ensuring that no matter where customers consume your products, services, and content, they receive a single, cohesive experience.
Omnichannel marketing has five basic principles: communication, channels, branding, personalization, and automation. Media and entertainment companies wrestle for a competitive market share by using these five aspects of omnichannel marketing to create a unique experience that converts customers into brand loyalists.
So who’s doing this well? These are our top choices for media and entertainment brands with effective omnichannel marketing strategies. They give all businesses something to aspire to.
Disney: The Ultimate Experience
Disney is the ultimate in omnichannel marketing. They’ve exhaustively researched what causes their customers pain, what their customers want, and how their customers move through Disney’s various offerings. They’ve taken this data and used it to create a seamless experience designed to give customers the maximum benefit while minimizing any frustrations their customers experience.
For example, long lines plagued Disney trips of the past. Now, park-goers can go online to plan their trip, find lodging and make dining reservations ahead of time, upgrade their tickets for special experiences, and customize fast-passes to allow them to bypass lines for their favorite rides.
From there, Disney fans can use Disney apps to navigate their surroundings, check wait times, find park photos taken with Disney characters, and more: everything blends to elevate the customer experience.
- Communication: Uses a variety of customer service options for Disney fans, including traditional phone and chat support plus mobile and web support for all its products and services. Disney also uses push notifications, email, and social media strategies for announcements, value-driven content, and new offers.
- Channels — Disney is everywhere: streaming, physical products, travel experiences, movies, and television, paying close attention to where and how customers move through each channel.
- Branding — Disney focuses on its primary brand, “Disney,” while offering various niche experiences associated with its acquired brands like Marvel and Star Wars.
- Personalization — Utilizes data-driven focus for offering repeat customers new incentives, packaging experiences across a variety of its sub-brands, and using recommendation engines for entertainment content.
- Automation — With robust mobile apps, Disney-goers can plan and coordinate trips, consume content, and receive updates.
HBOMax: Leveraging Mobile, Streaming, Online, and TV
HBOMax launched recently with a focus on breadth of content and seamless handoff. HBO focused on a multi-tier marketing strategy to build excitement and to promote the new platform. The company has a heavy reliance on data to determine its ad strategies and add options like linear TV.
It’s both the platform reach (with Amazon and Roku notable holdouts for the moment) and a wide range of culturally significant content driving initial marketing efforts.
- Communication — Leveraging connections with various advertisers and partners, HBOMax generates excitement for content and new offers.
- Channels — Designed for multi-platform experience, giving customers access no matter where they are. Plus, with robust customer service in multiple formats, customers can troubleshoot without missing content.
- Branding — Head start in the game because of a long history of promoting premium and specialty content in the era of traditional television. HBOMax continues to strike exclusive deals with content producers — BBC and Warner Bros are two high profile examples of this strategy — and capitalize on effective programming.
- Personalization — Recommendation engines, push notifications, and email/social media marketing give customers a personalized experience based on specific content “fandoms.”
- Automation — The entire HBOMax platform is optimized to allow customers to start consuming content in one place and move seamlessly to another with no interruptions.
SonyLiv: Localized and Personalized Content
SonyLiv has managed to hold its own among streaming giants by offering omnichannel content delivery over a range of online and offline platforms. The company maximizes buy-in through localization, excellent onboarding, and an intimate understanding of the customer journey.
Even though new users can access content for free, the company has managed to monetize the platform by targeting the right customer with the right message. The platform also leverages customer data to create unique experiences through recommendations and personalization at scale.
- Communication – Localization and robust onboarding turn free users into premium subscribers.
- Channels — Both online and offline platforms give consumers in India the chance to engage how they wish.
- Branding — SonyLiv provides users a localized experience with sports, television, and movies that matter most to users in that region.
- Personalization — Recommendation engines and data-driven initiatives, plus localization (a key factor), helps SonyLiv deliver the content it knows consumers want.
- Automation — Personalized push notifications, live segmentation, and flows based on live match viewership make the watching experience seamless.
Netflix: From DVD Mailing Service to Full-Scale Entertainment
Netflix owes its success to omnichannel marketing strategies. The movie rental giant realized the potential for streaming to accelerate its scale and moved into the data-driven side of things to keep customers on the platform and engaging in its content.
Netflix uses a unique recommendation engine that learns customer preferences and helps them choose when and where to watch — a variety of device options are available with seamless handoff — and most importantly, what to watch. With robust customer service, unique content, and data-driven personalization across devices, Netflix pioneered the concept of “binge-watching”.
- Communication — Robust customer service across a variety of platforms, plus tailored push notification strategies, email campaigns, and creative social media encourage maximum engagement.
- Channels — Multiple platforms with seamless handoff for customers.
- Branding — From DVD mailing service to a full-service media company with in-house content, Netflix scaled and scaled big.
- Personalization – Defined the recommendation engine for ultimate engagement (and binge-watching). It’s so good that users express surprise that someone else’s Netflix isn’t like theirs.
- Automation — With push, email campaigns, and data-driven recommendation engines, users experience Netflix with no gaps.
Hulu: From TV Streaming to Media Giant
Hulu did for television what Netflix did for movies, and now, the television streaming company has expanded to a variety of content. Users have access to seamless handoff across devices with data-driven recommendations and the added support of push notifications for announcements like the Game of Thrones finale.
Hulu offers several package tiers, allowing customers to choose their favorite, customer support to make the transition seamless, and plenty of unique content across the board. Customers can choose to watch through television, tablets, or on-the-go with Hulu’s mobile app.
- Communication — Available customer service and communication through all channels and robust email/social media messaging.
- Channels — Specializes in moving from device to device with no gaps.
- Branding — Expanded from standard cable streaming to premium content packaging and original features.
- Personalization — Uses robust recommendation engines to create and capitalize on user preferences in real-time.
- Automation — Real-time insights help craft push strategies and email campaigns, plus offer consumers the chance to hand off from device to device.
CleverTap’s Omnichannel Marketing Solutions
CleverTap’s platform offers Media & Entertainment brands omnichannel marketing solutions designed for each pillar of an effective omnichannel strategy. You can engage and react to customers no matter their preferred platform with our robust messaging channels and provide top-notch customer service with personalization at scale.
Not only that, it helps you turn your data into real-time insights through segmentation, localization, behavioral analytics, and customer lifecycle optimization. Omnichannel marketing doesn’t have to belong solely to massive companies — you can craft a rich customer experience just like these entertainment and media companies with CleverTap’s suite of tools. It’s time to transform your operations.