When you run a website, you need to understand how it compares to others in various ways. One great way to assess the success of your website with its competitors is by looking at your site’s Alexa rank. Why is this important and how can you improve your ranking in Alexa? With the help of Mike Timms, head of SEO at Smoking Chili Media, that’s what we are going to discuss in the following post.
First, What is the Alexa Rank?
Alexa is an analytics firm run by Amazon that provides paid-for and free tools for website owners covering areas like site audits, competitive analysis and keyword research. One of the free tools you can benefit from is Alexa Traffic Rankings. This ranks sites in relation to their authority.
The tool looks at its popularity over a period of 3 months compared to other sites, and then give sit a ranking. With these rankings, lower numbers are better and rank #1 is the best.
How is the Ranking Calculated?
Alexa is not able to see each and every single visit your website gets. Rather, it takes a traffic sample from people using specific extensions with their browsers, such as the toolbar from Alexa. That was the first and only extension that would work, but Alexa now can use data collected by other extensions too.
When users installed the associated tools, they accepted that their browsing data would be tracked. The information gleaned from those tools and extensions is sent to Alexa who then use it to work out the rankings. The information needs to be run through a special algorithm, to ensure that the sample of data matches the demographic of the average internet user.
The actual ranking is calculated based on the Reach and Page Views. That is the number of different users to a site in the course of a day and how many pages each visit looks at.
Why is the Alexa Rank Important?
You may be wondering why you should care about your site’s Alexa rank. There are three main reasons why you should, though:
- Interested on a Personal Level – It is good to know, on a personal level, that your website is doing better than others and has a higher ranking.
- Advertising – Some advertisers use the Alexa rank of a site to identify its potential traffic, authority and quality. Although Google is the main source for advertisers these days, it is still used by some.
- The Connection to Search Engine Rankings – There is a strong correlation between improvements to your Alexa ranking and your SERPs ranking. That means when you improve your Alexa rank, you are likely to improve your Google ranking as well.
Tips for Improving Your Site’s Alexa Rank
As the Alexa Rank of your site is based on the authority of your site and page views, the most effective way of improving it is by increasing your traffic.
- This can be done in a number of ways –
- Building links between your site and other sites with authority
- Search engine optimisation
- Adding regular, fresh and high-quality content to your site